Lanyards are among the trendiest accessories nowadays. Due to the sheer versatility of these cords, schools, companies, and other establishments are using them. To some, the lanyard has even become a source of income and a fashion accessory.
Nylon lanyards have become an alternative for necklaces and bracelets since they are inexpensive but still attractive. Making them is very easy that you can actually make one at home. The materials needed to make them are available in your local craft store. To start, here are the things you’ll need:
• Nylon laces/strings – They are available in different colors and thickness. You can buy them in spools or by yard.
• Beads – These are for embellishing your lanyard. They also come in different designs and colors.
• Attachment – This is used to lock your lanyard. Nylon cords are often coupled with hook-type locks, which can be a j-hook or a ring hook. Just be mindful of the hook you will be using since once you attach it to your lanyards, you cannot remove it anymore.
There are two common methods in making nylon lanyards. They are the Modified Braid and the Crown Sinnet methods. To get you started, here are the steps to follow:
Method 1: Modified Braid
1. Prepare two nylon strings or laces. Cut them according to your preferred length.
2. Attach your chosen hook by placing the two strings near the center; adjust them to make their ends meet. Secure the hook by tying the two strings with a double knot.
3. Then just like the process of braiding hair, do the exact procedures with the strings or laces by overlapping them with each other to make loops.
4. You can insert beads in between your loops.
5. Once you achieve the desired length, secure the loops with a knot which will serve as its lock.
6. Cut off the excess strings to make your lanyard neat.
Method 2: Crown Sinnet
1. Prepare two different colors of string or lace, and cut them according to your desired length.
2. Fold the two strings together and make their ends meet. Secure the folded center with your fingers.
3. Still holding on to the strings’ centers, lay them flat on a surface and arrange them in a way that they look like a plus sign, with one string’s center overlapping with the other string’s center.
4. To secure your chosen hook, take one end of the bottom lace then slip it on the hook. Move the hook slowly to the center.
5. Once the hook is secured, you can already start making your loops. Just make sure that you secure the centers of the laces by putting a sticky tape or just pressing down on them with your fingers.
6. The first loop is made by getting one end of the bottom lace and drawing it near the center. Do the same step with the other end of the bottom string.
7. Take one end of the top string and loop it over your first bottom string, then loop it through the second bottom string. You will now see that the ends of the top string are facing the same direction.
8. Do the same thing with the other end of the top string. Continue the process until you are satisfied with the length.
9. To finish, secure the last knot with your finger so you can tight the ends. If you are using a nylon string, burn the ends with a candle, and if you are using a nylon lace, secure the ends by tying a double knot and cut off the excess.
With these easy-to-follow steps, you can now make your own lanyards that you will surely enjoy and love.
Lanyards are among the trendiest accessories nowadays. Due to the sheer versatility of these cords, schools, companies, and other establishments are using them.